Saturday, January 9, 2021

You can't be both "trans" and "queer" at the same time--so "Elliot" Page should be a bit more forthright about "his" meaning

 

Now it is time "to dare the gods.” I was scrolling down the Google news feed on my phone when I came across a story about how British actor Ian McKellen was “dissatisfied” with the way he had not been “sensitive” during an encounter he had with someone years ago.  

I remember Elliot Page, in one of the X-Men, sat as close as we are now. And I had to speak when they’d finished, and I couldn’t hear what they were saying. Nobody could hear what they were saying. So, I said, ‘Look, if you can’t speak up, would you mind when you’re finished speaking, just dropping your hand so I know when you’ve finished speaking?’ And then they came out [as gay] years later and suddenly you couldn’t stop them talking. You heard everything. And now… they’re Elliot. And I’m so happy for Elliot. And so disappointed in myself that I didn’t detect what their difficulty was with communicating.”

I was like most of those who left comments, wondering if it was a slow news day. But then I thought this Elliot and his friends were being rude, and maybe the reason they were talking so low because they were saying nasty things about other people they didn’t want anybody else to hear. But I thought about it a bit more, and did some investigating, and found out that up until last November 30, this Elliot Page used to called Ellen Page, before putting on some men’s clothes and  announcing to the world that “she” was now a “he.”  

Ellen/Elliot Page was/is an actress/actor who has given a well-regarded performances in movies I have never seen; I checked “his” IMDB listing for “her” films and the only one I’ve seen is Smart People, in which she played a clearly female character. I was aware of the fact that she first became an “item” as the “star” of Juno, in which “Ellen” played a pregnant teen deciding whether or not to keep the child. I have also seen “him” on late night talk shows wearing short skirts, trying to look every inch a sexy “her.” In 2005 she was “outed” as a lesbian, apparently against her wishes, and then was feted for her “courage.”

On December 1 on social media, “Ellen” announced to the world that

I want to share with you that I am trans, my pronouns are he/they and my name is Elliot. I feel lucky to be writing this. To be here. To have arrived at this place in my life. I feel overwhelming gratitude for the incredible people who have supported me along this journey. I can’t begin to express how remarkable it feels to finally love who I am enough to pursue my authentic self. I’ve been endlessly inspired by so many in the trans community. Thank you for your courage, your generosity and ceaselessly working to make this world a more inclusive and compassionate place. I will offer whatever support I can and continue to strive for a more loving and equal society,”

And that wasn’t all:

I love that I am trans. And I love that I am queer. And the more I hold myself close and fully embrace who I am, the more I dream, the more my heart grows and the more I thrive. To all the trans people who deal with harassment, self-loathing, abuse, and the threat of violence every day: I see you, I love you, and I will do everything I can to change this world for the better.

To me this Ellen/Elliot is actually a self-serving coward and a hypocrite. In the past, being “exposed” as gay or lesbian did open one up to ridicule and abuse, but these days being “outed” is less worthy as a news item than announcing one is a “tran.” “Transgender” is in the news mainly because it refers to someone who is outwardly one sex—including possessing the genitalia of that sex—yet claiming to think and “feel” like the opposite sex. Such people insist that they be allowed to use public restrooms, locker rooms or other gender-specific facilities of their sex of choice. The “Elliot” Wiki page has now been edited to say that “he” had been “assigned” the designation as “female” at birth, apparently without the baby’s personal approval.

In examining all the issues involved here, I must once more say that if there is one thing I hate as much as anything, it is hypocrisy. "Elliot" is completely disingenuous here. “Ellen” had been married to a woman named Emma Porter for the past few years. This was stated to be a same-sex marriage. Now, I’ve done some investigating on the Internet, and I’ve found nothing that suggests that “Elliot” is a hermaphrodite, or had an surgical procedure to install male genitalia—meaning that “Elliot” is still physically a female. It seems that “Elliot” prefers the “stigma” of being “trans” rather than that of “gay” or “lesbian.”

So what is “Elliot” telling us? She says she “loves” being “trans” and “queer.” I’m sorry, but you cannot be both at the same time. It appears that she is saying she was “queer” before, but now she is “trans.” Did "Ellen" actually secretly hate being referred to as gay or lesbian? That she prefers her relationships to be seen as "normal" as in “heterosexual,” since she feels more like a “man” than a “woman,” even though “he” is physically still a woman? Why is she rejecting the term “lesbian”? The same could be said about a man who claims to be a woman, yet chooses to retain the outside physical characteristics of a male. Why doesn’t he just say he is “gay” and prefers other men? Do “trans” people feel “shame” in being referred to as gay or lesbian? Isn’t that an indication of the suppressed, “closeted” prejudices they themselves possess?

Page is being feted by other hypocrites, who remind me of white supremacists who allow a few token minorities to join their club so they can be used to claim that they are not racist. “He” should be seen for what “he” is: someone who wants to create the “illusion” of “normality” based on a lie and his own suppressed prejudices, which all "his" self-gratulatory hyperbole does little to conceal, once people actually sit down and think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment