Monday, January 20, 2020

The media seems to prefer the fictions of its current favorites over real world stories



I’ve almost reached the point where I view media from outside the country (such as the UK’s The Guardian) as a more credible source of information about what is going on here. One “foreign” observation is the craven way in which CNN—which has no problem in disseminating and defending Elizabeth Warren’s lies—was the first media outlet to cave in to Nick Sandmann’s libel lawsuit, with another dozen or so lining up to line Sandmann’s and his attorney’s pockets. Last year, the Canadian news magazine Maclean’s published an opinion piece in which the author declared that “Yes, a MAGA hat is a symbol of hate,” pointing out that it was racist the way that Covington Catholic school students were “wearing MAGA hats shouting at (Native American) elders, dancing mockingly, and pantomimed tomahawk chops” and that one of them (Sandmann) made his way to the front of the crowd to stand almost none-to-nose with Phillips (an elder), and smirking in his face.” Sandmann’s actions, aside from his lying about it in interviews, was clearly meant to be intimidating on a racial power level. Sandmann, his attorneys and the media have somehow made the Black Israelites presence the “bad guy” in all of this, but it is pointed out that the real instigator was the crowd of white males wearing MAGA hats, which has become a symbol of hate and white nationalism, and the Black Israelites had nothing to do with the way the "boys" were behaving toward the elders. The article ends by insisting that “if the hood (meaning the MAGA hat) fits, wear it.” 

The New York Times credibility has also taken a hit, even if many won’t admit it yet, by endorsing both Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klobuchar for president because they are “best equipped to lead.” The Times’ undermined that assertion by being blatantly biased in giving voters a one or the other choice solely between two women. While I (and most people) have no opinion one way or another about Klobuchar, that only helps to explain the fact that her polling is in the low single digits and she has almost no shot at the nomination. One can only surmise that The Times, in realizing that Warren is a polarizing figure, wanted to give voters this false choice solely on gender. 

The American media’s hypocrisy can try even the most cynical voter. While MSNBC brought on an “expert” on body language to claim that Bernie Sanders was “lying” at the last debate, the media conveniently overlooked Warren’s long history of lying—even to anger family members by her belittling of her father at campaign events in an attempt to further her working class “cred,” and then failing to mention that she and her husband (who is rarely acknowledged) are worth $12 million according to Forbes. The Times gingerly noted that Warren was a “gifted story teller”; others would call those stories evidence of pathological lying that actually have something to say about her fitness to be president. The website Healthline describes pathological liars as people who “create a false history, such as saying they’ve achieved or experienced something they have not” and that “they are the victims in many of their own stories, looking for sympathy.” The pathological liar is “not deterred by guilt or risk of getting found out” and “tend to be natural performers. They are eloquent and know how to engage with others when speaking…They are creative and original and quick thinkers, who don’t usually show common signs of lying, such as long pauses or avoidance of eye contact.” These descriptions fit Warren to a “T.” 

The media also seemed to be overly impressed by Saturday’s “women’s march.” It apparently did not occur to many media observers that the marches had two aspects that Democrats should find troubling: they were much smaller than previous years’ marches, and that they seemed to be almost wholly attended by “radical” groups who do not in the main represent mainstream opinion. Furthermore, such feeling-good-about-feeling-bad events don’t address the fact that 53 percent of white women voted for Trump in 2016, or for “ethnic” male voters like me there is little difference between anti-Hispanic immigrant ranters like Laura Ingraham, Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin and all those “educated” white women who wear their ignorant paranoid fear fantasies front and center—the kind of women that Warren is counting on. 

I have “stories” too, except that unlike Warren’s they happen to be true.  After graduating from college  I lived in Sacramento for a couple years before moving on to Seattle, and while there I decided to take some  graduate courses at what was then called California State, before it renamed itself Sacramento State. This is what my day was like during the year I was in school there: having already begun working a night-shift job, and deciding to keep it to pay my rent and tuition, I would wake-up at 6 AM so I could make it to my first class at 8 AM. The last class usually ended at 2:30 P.M. which allowed me to catch a bus and then a light rail train to work at 3:30 PM. I worked till midnight and then jogged to the light rail station catch the last train at 12:30 AM. I would arrive at my tiny one-room apartment, which was astride the “mall” which faced the state capitol building, at around 1 AM, and went to sleep (the room was unfurnished, so I  slept on a cot) by 1:30 AM—meaning if I was lucky I got 4 and half hours of sleep. Most of the school day I suffered from sleep deprivation and stomach cramps that made it difficult to concentrate, although over the course of year I still managed a “B” average, 

I then decided I didn’t need any more schooling because I just wanted to write, and so I sold most of my belongings, packed the rest in an old Army duffle bag, and retreated to Seattle, because I liked the area from my few months at Fort Lewis before I was shipped back to the former West Germany for a couple more years, where the “highlight” of my tour would be to receive a personal hospital visit from the three-star corps commander, after a few of my bones were broken while trying to avoid a head-on collision between my puny 1/4 –ton jeep and a German’s vehicle, whose occupant was driving so fast around a curve on the Autobahn that centrifugal force had “guided” his vehicle right into my lane. It was as close to death as I have gotten; I remember the windshield breaking, and then I was out cold before reviving in a German ambulance. Ironically, I was returning from a trip to pick up spare parts from wrecked jeeps. 

Anyways, my time in Sacramento was generally unmemorable, which despite being the capitol of California generally had the reputation of a “cow town,” arising out of nowhere right in the middle of mostly semi-arid country. I do recall taking a look at the boarding house that had been run by the “Death House Landlady,” Dorothea Puente, which was about the only thing interesting in Sacramento other than Jerry Brown’s portrait in the State Capitol building, which I suppose was meant to be “impressionistic” and thus real “art.” And I remember attending a rally overseen by Brown, Jesse Jackson and Cesar Chavez in support of healthcare for state workers; and then there was the time I was returning from one of my bus trips to San Francisco one Saturday, when I learned that an earthquake had just hit there—the one made “famous” during Game 1 of the 1989 World Series. 

But there was something else. One morning while I was taking a shower I became vaguely aware of some muffled rumbling from somewhere. As I was leaving my room to conduct some business the person in the room opposite mine appeared and told me that a white male had been banging on my door and making threats. Her recounting of what she had seen and heard told me the following: that this was a student from a media class I was in (there were only six students in it total), and he was threatening physical abuse because I had “hurt” the feelings of the instructor. By the description given of him, I recognized the student as the same one who had made an offensive (at least to me) statement that was an oblique reference to the black male student there who was paralyzed from the waste-down, about how he felt perfectly “justified” in not feeling “guilty” if he didn’t feel compelled to assist a disabled person. 

But what had I done? The instructor (actually a professor) was a self-glorifying feminist who was a fan of Madonna and occasionally inserted comments about how Madonna had “changed” society in such and such a way, which I thought was mostly baloney but kept my views to myself. Then one day she was talking about how Madonna had changed the dynamic of sexual discourse, in which it was “OK” if the female was the “aggressor” and used males as her sexual “toys”; of course it would be a lot easier on males if this was in fact the case, but in this damned-if-do-damned-if-you-don’t “MeToo” world, that societal change never came about because women (at least those of gender political bent) prefer to be “victims” in matters of sexual interaction. 

I didn’t question her thesis, but as a fan of Seventies music I felt compelled to mention that there were other female musicians who predated Madonna in sexual assertiveness; one day I interjected that Sylvia Robinson wrote herself and recorded a song called “Pillow Talk” way back in 1973 which has as a very strong insinuation of an adult woman trying to persuade an underage boy to allow her to show him the “ropes” of sex, although it didn’t excite the kind of attention that Benny Mardones’ hit “Into the Night” did on that score (or for that matter, a 33-year-old Ringo Starr covering “You’re Sixteen”). The professor offered counter arguments, but I was unpersuaded, and this seemed to make her “sad.”

But this was not what caused a classmate to take “action.” One day in class during a self-satisfied discussion of race relations in the country in which the two minorities present were not expected to contribute, I blurted out that white people shouldn’t be the ones to decide whether racism still exists or not, and furthermore, I had the audacity to mention that white feminist Eleanor Smeal was going around talking about “racism against white women,” and that on the contrary I thought that white women could be just as racist as white men. I didn’t mean to cause pain for the professor—I was just tired of the self-satisfied hypocrisy. The next day, a Saturday, was when I received the aforementioned “visit.” On Monday it was as if nothing had happened; I suspected the student was hoping I hadn’t been around to report it. As for the professor, I observed that she had posted something new to the surfaces outside her office, besides various feminist platitudes: some note she found somewhere about racial equality, which I suppose was supposed to assuage any “guilt.”

Come to think about it, there was something else, too.  I was on a temp assignment at a shop that did mailer piecework, just sticking brochures and newsletters inside folders. At the end of the first day of this assignment, the supervisor, a white male, called us all together, and started pointing at “random” persons in the crowd, and once he reached a certain number, he stated that this was all the people he needed going forward, and the rest of us were not to return. Being a college-educated person, my observation of the selection process took note of a certain irregularity: far from being “random,” it had been deliberate in its calculation: everyone the supervisor “counted” and chose to return were all of the white females in the room. The rest who were rejected were all of the minorities and white males. I had the impression that the supervisor picked out the women he wanted in his personal “harem.” By the time we went into his office to have our time cards signed, I was stewing. I just went out and stated flatly “You know, we need the work too.” I observed that some of the other people looked “awed” that someone had actually had the gonads to say something about the unfairness and blatant discrimination of the selection “process.” The supervisor looked up and seemed surprised that someone had noticed what he had done, but surprise quickly devolved into a smirk that dehumanized all of us.

This is a real story in the real world. Elizabeth Warren has never told a “story” about anything that is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment