Monday, November 26, 2012

Why I hate Bellevue



I have to admit I’ve never liked Bellevue, the so-called city on the other side of Lake Washington. It is not just that it is Republican territory, but it acts that way too. I once worked for a few days at the Bellevue Mall on a temp assignment along with other “ethnic” and minority types, and I couldn’t help but notice that the bus driver taking us back across the lake was keenly aware of his “responsibilities.” We were not to linger one minute longer than absolutely necessary. Bellevue police are always on the lookout for “others” who may be in neighborhoods where the white gentry might think is “suspicious.” I was once pulled over for not turning on my turn signal “fast enough”; the real reason was because the cop was on a fishing expedition, and naturally any "ethnic" male must have an outstanding warrant for his arrest. If not, then such intimidation should make him think twice about returning.

There are admittedly a few minorities of the under-represented kind who actually live in Bellevue, but they are mainly restricted to the Crossroads neighborhood. I remember when Bellevue police had a "meet and greet" fair at the Crossroads shopping center; they were showing off their military-style urban warfare vehicles and weaponry. Geez, I wonder why. Years ago I recall that Metro had canvassed the area for opinions about installing “multicultural” artwork at some of the bus stops; naturally the Republican-dominated gentry was vehemently opposed.

But what really irritates me about Bellevue is that it is really just a residential area for well-off people without any sense of how a city is supposed to function. I once had an appointment someplace in south Bellevue. I got off a bus west of the railway line that cuts across the north-south axis of the city; I didn’t think that I would have a problem finding a crossing road south of 8th Street closer to where I was going. I figured it was maybe a 30-minute walk for the appointment which was in another hour.  I started down 116th Ave, and walked and walked, but I looked in vain for a crossing street; the further I walked, the more the railway was further in the distance, and there was nothing between me and it but wilderness. 

By the time I realized that I was in trouble, I knew I was going to be late unless I took drastic action. I cut across a parking lot, climbed over a fence and ascended a steep wood-covered hill until I reached the tracks. I walked some distance hoping that there was a road on the other side; unfortunately the railway went over a bridge, and with crossed fingers I hoped that I wouldn’t have the misfortune of encountering a train. By the time I reached other side of the bridge, there was nothing but more wilderness before me. I had to make another decision: there was road down there somewhere (1st street, which only continued southward), except that I might make it down a little quicker than mortal human flesh could sustain. Fortunately, there were bushes and small trees on the down slope, and I said to myself what the hell and seized all available objects to slow my descent. By the time I reached the bottom I was a sweaty, dirty, scratched-up mess, but I had finally crossed the tracks to the other side. I ended-up “only” 15 minutes late for my appointment, but the man who I had to see did not seem to appreciate how much I endured in the course of this little adventure. This was also the last time I have ever allowed myself to be insulted by Bellevue; I haven’t been there since. 

Since I am predisposed to dislike Bellevue, it goes without saying that a story that appeared on the front page of Saturday’s Seattle Times only increased my loathing. It seems that some members of the Bellevue city council claim that they were lied to when it wasn’t explicitly explained to them that Sound Transit might build a rail-yard in the Bel-Red Industrial Corridor, which I am familiar with (having worked another temp job in that area), and frankly it is so remote from Bellevue proper it might as well be located in Alaska. On the other hand, the city knew that there was a likelihood to build a rail-yard somewhere on the Eastside, because the Seattle SODO yard was simply not big enough; it seems that because the Bellevue city council was not told positively that a yard might be built in or near the city—or chose to ignore the implicit possibility that this would be done—that all of sudden it is claiming “foul.”

But the real issue is that many in Bellevue do not want a light rail link to their city at all, and will clutch at any thin reed to make it not happen. They don’t care if it eases traffic problems to and from the Eastside; the residents are more concerned about whether it will make it easier for non-Caucasian “others” to come and go, such as to the Bellevue Mall—which frankly is the only place worth wasting your time with in Bellevue. However, there are those common sense types who realize the value of another form of rapid transit; in the otherwise unrelievedly partisan anti-light rail Times story, frustrated councilman John Stokes said "I don't see why there would be any advantage to us delaying those things (building the rail link) at this point unless you just don't want the light rail.” 

Frankly, I'm sick of Republican Bellevue and its constant complaints, like a pampered child with a silver spoon planted firmly in mouth. Welcome to the modern world, provincials.  If Bellevue wants to be a city, then it needs to grow-up. It can't have all of the benefits and none of the responsibilities of civilization. The Times own anti-modernity and anti-progress stories no doubt stem from the fact that so many of its editors live in Bellevue and are out-of-touch with the “progressive” city they are supposed to be "speaking for."

4 comments:

  1. As a disgruntled Bellevue resident, I can COMPLETELY related to your disdain towards that place. Good news though, I just got a job down in Kent and all I need is some loans for first month rent, deposit and the other bills such as food, phone...etc, so I can move out of Bellevue.

    Wanna hear something fucked up? As an Asian person, I know a lot of upper middle class Asians (mostly Chinese and Koreans.) move to Eastside with kids. Reasons?

    Well, Eastside in general have little jobs that support a real economic as all the jobs out there are either retails, or restaurants, or "white collars" jobs for yuppies with 10 years degrees in college. And transportation to the places with jobs like SODO, Kent, Auburn...etc is a complete nightmare. That way, those Asians with outdated, traditional mindset but yet with money (usually inherited from family.), can isolate and shelter their kids. You might say they're protecting the kids, but look at it this way...without enough exposure to the real world, they basically control their kids' life. Their kids will be going to university (graduate with jobs or not or 5 digits debt for their kids don't matter to these Asian families, trust me I know.), and they'll still be forced to kiss their family's ass somehow all the way, till they're 40 (that is, if they're lucky enough and not totally brainwashed.).

    You gotta feel bad for the kids. Deep down inside, they're in pain as their families usually resort to emotional and physical abuse (Don't let their 3 store mansion fools you.), but nobody cares neither will they try to help or even show any single drop of mercy as they're considered as "rich spoiled brats". They'll get punked everywhere they go as they have no social skills or awareness to deal with different social situations.

    All I know for now is to move down to Kent. I'm thinking about writing a book for this issue so people can be aware of this more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to note that immigrant families who try to maintain old "traditions" and mores are bound to have problems keeping "control" of subsequent generations. This polyglot country has no "real" tradition, despite what bigots like Pat Buchanan say. This type always forget that people like Tom Paine began what can pass as an American "tradition" (subsequently) followed by the firebrands of the French Revolution) of generally saying what you want--while Thoreau showed us "civil disobedience," and basically doing want you feel fit for you. That kind of thing rubs-off on the children of non-Western cultures of control (or those trying to maintain a differing--or "non-American--cultural tradition). Doubtless what are perfectly normal mores in this country seems perverse to those of the "old" ways. I don't know to what extent this is "good" or "bad," but I agree it is best that the children of "traditionalists" be allowed to find their own way in the world, unencumbered by unwanted expectations.

      Delete
  2. If you think Bellevue's republican, you might as well be a communist. It's hyper liberal compared to the rest of the state and the rest of the country for that matter, especially compared to where I live right now in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand it here. My kid has an incredible life, but these are some of the worst years of my life.

    ReplyDelete