Wednesday, September 1, 2010

End of summer airport blues

The vendor I work for at the airport had an end-of-summer barbecue, ostensibly in appreciation of all our hard work. It was on my day “off,” although I spend most of my “off” time working at my real job, which is writing. I had to make a decision: Free food, or spend two quality hours writing. It was a difficult choice, but I decided on the free food. Not a good choice. When I arrived at the site of the function, in “civilian” clothes but wearing my ID badge, I was treated with contempt by a Port of Seattle rent-a-cop standing “guard” there. He was apparently discombobulated by the sight of a “Mexican” in the vicinity, because “Mexicans” are target number one for the various paranoid airport security outfits. I decided I didn’t want to stay, so I picked-up a burger and hot dog (where was the potato salad and baked beans?) and promptly left, but not before being given the tough-guy routine by a female rent-a-cop on my way out. Geez, some “thank you” for all my hard work—especially with having to look forward to “Winter’s Worst”—what AccuWeather is predicting to be what the Pacific Northwest should expect in a few months.

Since I’m in a bad mood now, I will talk about the airport business. I have an acquaintance who manages a motel, and is a native of India. Knowing I work at the airport, he related an incident that occurred that disturbed him greatly. His mother was traveling to India for some family function; as he stood by to see her off, he observed that the TSA Blue Shirt screeners were greatly upsetting his mother. He advance to see what the problem was; the Blue Shirts were demanding that his mother remove a gold ring that she was wearing around her neck. He tried to explain to the Blue Shirts that a married Indian woman always wears this neck ring for as long as her husband is alive, and to remove it would mean that something bad might happen to him. But they would not listen; they continued to demand the ring’s removal, with the mother equally adamant that she would not remove it. The son admitted that he became angry and demanded to see the Blue Shirt supervisor; the Blue Shirts, not wanting to explain themselves to a supervisor, and conscious of the fact that they were becoming a spectacle in front of numerous witnesses, finally ceased their demands. I don’t think this incident requires further commentary.

News stories have also been circulating about airlines charging mysterious new fees for previous “benefits” that are normally part of the flying experience, with United Airlines a particularly egregious offender. According to SmartMoney.com, these offenses include many airlines charging booking fees for reservations done over the phone; UAL charges $25 for this “privilege.” Using frequent flyer benefits is no longer “free” on some airlines; US Airways charges as much as $50 for the use of frequent flyer benefits. Exit row seats can also cost you extra; UAL charges as much as $109 extra for an aisle seat. One airline, Spirit, actually charges you extra if you have the temerity to request any seat. If you change your flight plans to another flight, you can be charged an extra $150 (UAL). Of course, we’ve all heard the horror stories about fees for checked bags, but it gets worse; one airline (UAL), charges $175 if you have a bag that is one pound over the 50 lbs limit for one bag. “In-flight amenities” like pillows, soft drinks and snacks will cost you extra on some airlines.

And don't get me started on those pampered numbskulls who occupy Operations, the so-called "brain center" of the airline I work for. It's more like an institution-- and not the one for higher learning.

The lesson to be learned here? Don’t make me mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment